Margie Cliftene Fewell Martin was born on September 4, 1923 to Edward Claude and Johnnie McCleskey Fewell, in Dublin, Texas, Erath County.
She was preceded in death by her husband, James Henry Martin, Jr., daughter Nancy Karen Martin Richardson, her parents, all 4 of her grandparents: Frances Crawford Fewell, Mason Conor Fewell, William Columbus McCleskey & Dorothy Jane Dulin McCleskey; brother, John Edward Fewell, and 3 half-brothers: “baby boy Fewell” buried in Moody, TX, Cecil Herbert Fewell (buried in Dublin), & Clifford Barron Fewell (buried in Restland in Dallas). She is survived by two daughters and one son: Katheryne Martin Williams of Longmont, CO; James David Martin of Mission Viejo, CA, and Linda Carol Martin Newell of New Hope, TX; and three grandchildren.
Margie graduated from Dublin High School of Dublin, TX in May 1941 as Salutatorian. She graduated from John Tarleton Junior College, Stephenville, TX in Jan. 1943, and was on the Dean’s List. Margie attended Parkland School of Nursing in Dallas for 8 months before leaving to marry Lt. James Henry Martin, Jr. on Sept. 18, 1943 at the Methodist Church in Dublin. After he returned from WWII, they lived in College Station while he was completing his degree. Afterwards they lived in the Baytown, Texas area for 23 years. Margie obtained her Practical Nurse license after graduating from Baton Rouge Vo-Tech School on Oct. 7, 1971, and worked as a nurse in Louisiana for 15 years. She was active in the National Federation of License Practical Nurses and the LPN associations for 18 years in Louisiana. She worked at Earl K. Long Memorial Hospital in Baton Rouge and at Lane Memorial Hospital in Zachary, LA. Margie retired from Lane Memorial on October 1, 1986. They moved to Texas Sept. 22, 1988.
Margie served in many roles at the Methodist Churches she attended and was also a member of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas (Sam Houston Chapter in Belton), the Dublin Historical Society, and the Old Dublin Memorial Park Assoc. which her mother helped to organize. James and Margie were both members of the Exxon Annuitants Heart of Texas Chapter in Waco & the Bell County Sportsman’s Club. They worked in the Helping Hands Food Pantry of Belton for several years.
The visitation was Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 10 a.m. at the Harrell Funeral Home.
The service followed after the visitation at 11 a.m. at the Harrell Funeral Home.